Specialist Mental Health Mentor
Application Deadline: 30/08/2022
Location: Brighton/remote mix
Salary: £40.80 p/hr
Sector: Higher Education
We are looking for excellent interpersonal and communication skills and have experience of providing one-to-one support to young people and adults with mental health difficulties/Autism in a professional context, ideally with experience of working within an educational setting.
Main duties and responsibilities
• Provide one-to-one Specialist Mentoring to students enabling them to study and meet their potential on their higher education programme. This is not advocacy or counselling.
• To tailor sessions with each student according to individual needs, helping to remove barriers to learning created by a particular impairment, e.g. mental-health conditions and/or autistic spectrum conditions. Working alongside the student with supportive strategies for a variety of issues including managing anxiety and stress, concentration difficulties, time management, self-care, prioritising workload and creating a suitable work-life balance.
• Deliver mentoring according to University of Sussex guidelines and code of conduct.
• To have a flexible approach to working hours.
• Manage paperwork.
• Represent the Student Support Unit at the University of Sussex in a professional manner, this includes adhering to our policies regarding confidentiality and safeguarding.
• Attend regular supervision and keep up to date with CPD requirements.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
• Ability and experience of assessing learner’s needs and collaboratively create an appropriate Individual Learning Plan.
• Experience of working in a supportive role in an educational setting
• Ability to participate as part of a wider team within a lone working role.
• Experience of safeguarding vulnerable adults and recognising risk.
• Clear understanding of professional boundaries.
• Hold Membership to at least one of the following professional bodies:
• Association of Child Psychotherapists
• BABCP accreditation
• BACP individual or MBACP
• British Psychoanalytic Council – under a member institution
• British Psychological Society Chartered Member (CPsychol)/IAPT register/Graduate Member(MBPsS) AND also PG qualification in psychology or mental health
• COSCA accredited member
• FDAP (NCAC)
• General Medical Council (GMC) – Psychiatry
• Health and Care professions Council (HCPC)
• IACP accredited Member
• National Counselling Society (Senior Accredited Member or Above)
• Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) –Mental Health Nurse/Psychiatric Nurse
• Social Worker Body for Scotland (SSSC)/Wales (CCWales) /NI (NISCC)
• UKCP full clinical individual member
If you are available for a minimum of 12 students a week students (term time) plus attend monthly supervision (currently zoom) please send CV and cover letter detailing how you meet the person specification and responsibilities of the role to: Zephyr Leader, Mental Health & Autism Advisor/Support Coordinator, Student Support Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contract Type: Casual staff. No guaranteed hours: Rate of pay £40.80 p/h. If you wish to informally discuss the role please contact Zephyr Leader on the above email.